Back pain is quite common and one of the most frequently reported reasons for visiting the doctor’s office. There is a wide spectrum of causes of back pain, many of which can be eliminated or significantly reduced through simple exercises. It is great news that, for most people, it is possible to cure back pain without needing to go through surgery.
At Oklahoma Physical Therapy, the goal of treating back pain is to eliminate pain while restoring function for the affected areas within just a few weeks. Our physical therapists work closely with every patient and his/her primary physician to create a treatment plan tailor-made based on the underlying causes of the back pain.
Symptoms of Back Pain
- Stiffness, spasms, and/or muscle aches in the back area
- Stabbing pain around the back area
- Pain in the back area every time you lift something
- Pain in the back area whenever you are standing or walking
- Numbness, tingling, or pain that goes all the way to your legs
For some people, back pain can be eliminated through appropriate physical activity/home exercise, but for those whose back pain is severe, more complex interventions might be necessary.
The back pain could simply be one of the first signs of something deeper and more serious that might need the intervention of your doctor. You should plan a visit to your doctor if your back pain also includes bladder problems, difficulty walking, a significant loss of weight, or a fever.
Typically, acute pain lasts for around six weeks. Chronic pain, on the other hand, lasts for around three months but could last longer if no interventions are made. The following are some of the most common causes of back pain.
Causes of Back Pain
- Ruptured or inflamed discs
- Arthritis – osteoarthritis being the most common
- Porous and brittle vertebrae (Osteopenia/Osteoporosis)
- Abnormal curvature of the spine (referred to as Scoliosis)
- Repetitive lifting or twisting that causes muscle strain
- Local inflammation that puts pressure of the roots of your nerves
- Ligament strain
- Excessive weight
- Lack of exercise/Loss of strength and endurance
How We Diagnose
The highly trained physical therapists at Oklahoma Physical Therapy are certified to help back pain patients regain their function. They are committed to partnering with you and your doctor towards creating a customized treatment plan based on a thorough examination of your condition and its underlying causes.
Typically, the plan includes manual treatments like Dry Needling, Cupping, hands-on techniques, Instrument-assisted techniques, as well as personalized home exercise programs designed to help you regain your strength. Contact us today and schedule an appointment.