Back pain is a common problem for many people across the world. It is one of the top conditions in which people seek a doctor for treatment. There are a variety of back pain causes and a good portion of them can be eliminated by performing simple exercises.
Fortunately, in most cases, back pain can be cured without having to undergo surgery. The physical therapists at Oklahoma Physical Therapy are trained to treat back pain with the goal of eliminating the pain restoring function within a few weeks in many cases.
At Oklahoma Physical Therapy, we work closely with the patient, as well as the patient’s primary physician to determine the cause of back pain and to create a customized treatment plan.
Symptoms of Back Pain
- Stabbing pain in back area
- Muscles aches, stiffness, and/or spasms in back area
- Pain, numbness, or tingling that extends to your legs
- Pain in back area when walking or while standing
- Pain in back area when lifting something
Simple home remedies have been known to help relieve some back pain, however, when the pain becomes severe, it could be an indication of something more serious. When your back pain is accompanied by fever, significant weight loss, bladder problems or cause difficulty in walking, you need to visit your doctor immediately.
Acute back pain can lasts up to six weeks while chronic back pain can last more than three months. Below are a list of common possible causes of back pain:
Causes of Back Pain
- Structural changes such as:
- Arthritis – osteoarthritis is the most common cause of back pain
- Inflamed or ruptured discs (does not necessarily cause pain, let’s talk more about it. Don’t let your MRI define you!)
- Brittle and porous vertebrae (the bones of your spine), known as Osteoporosis/Osteopenia
- Scoliosis (abnormal curvature of the spine)
- Local inflammation putting pressure on the nerve roots
- Repetitive twisting or lifting causing muscle strain
- Ligament Strain
- Excess weight
- Lack of exercise
How We Diagnose
At Oklahoma Physical Therapy, our qualified physical therapists are motivated to see you regain your health and will partner with you to create a customized treating plan after a detailed examination is completed. The treatment plan may consist of manual treatments (hands on techniques, Dry Needling, Instrument assisted techniques, Cupping, etc) and personalized strengthening plans leading into a customized home exercise program. You can contact us to schedule your appointment.