Stress and pressure at the hands and wrists, especially when it is repetitive, can make increase your risk developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). The Carpal Tunnel is a narrow channel on the palm side of the wrist that protects your median nerve as well as the tendons that make it possible for you to bend your fingers.
When the Median Nerve experiences too much pressure, it might result in irritation characterized by pain and numbness around your hand and wrist. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome affects one in every 20 Americans. It can affect your entire arm if left unaddressed.
The good news is that rarely does this condition warrant a surgical operation. At Oklahoma Physical Therapy, certified experts will help you get relief from the pain and numbness in your wrist and work with you towards helping you regain full normal functionality.
Who is Prone to CTS?
Anyone can experience pain from CTS, but the following activities lead to a greater risk:
- Frequent typing or computer work
- Assembly-line work involved in packing goods
- Frequent hand tool use
- Driving and heavy machinery use
- Frequent instrument playing (guitar, violin, piano)
- Frequent Sewing, knitting, or crafting
- Wrist strain, wrist injuries, and wrist fractures
- Use of steroids and such other drugs
- Hormonal changes in women during menopause and pregnancy
- Inflammation of the tendons
Signs and Symptoms of CTS
For most people with this condition, the symptoms are most pronounced at night when the muscles are more relaxed. The following are a list of the most common symptoms:
- Constant numbness
- General weakness of your wrist and hand
- Dropping things involuntarily as a result of weakness in your hands and wrists
- Feeling pain when you hold something heavy
- Notable tingling in the palm of your hand
- A burning sensation in your arm and hand
How We Help You
The physical therapists at Oklahoma Physical Therapy are certified and trained to examine, diagnose, and treat your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. They will examine the general function and movement of your hands and wrists and work with you towards creating a custom treatment plan that will make sure you regain full function in a few weeks. Contact us today and schedule an appointment.