Arthritis is a medical term that means joint inflammation. There are many types of arthritis, with varying causes, but the coming factor in all forms is that one or more joints can become swollen and tender resulting in joint pain and stiffness. These symptoms typically tend to worsen with age. The most common types of Arthritis are Osteoarthritis (OA) and Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA).
Symptoms of Arthritis
Depending on the type of arthritis, symptoms may include:
- Joint Pain
- Joint Stiffness
- Redness of the skin around the joint
- Swelling and
- Reduced range of motion
Many individuals with arthritis can develop restricted movement due to the pain they experience. However, this decreased mobility only exacerbates the condition, resulting in further joint stiffness and increased pain.
After accurate diagnosis, proper treatment is vital. Physical therapy valuable components of the recommended treatment protocols for arthritis.
Specialized Physical Therapy
At Oklahoma Physical Therapy, we offer specialized treatment techniques for arthritis patients. Our goal during physical therapy is to:
- Alleviate joint pain
- Increase flexibility while also rejuvenating affected joints
- Strengthen the muscles around a joint affected by arthritis
- Improve balance and coordination
- Maintain fitness
Oklahoma Arthritis Physical Therapy, also includes the following in your treatment plan:
- Proper posture training and biomechanical coaching to relieve pain as you perform daily activities
- Training in the effective use of assistive devices such as canes and walkers
- Education for use of assistive devices such as braces, splints, and crutches to reinforce joints and help ease stress and pressure from the hips to the feet
- Hot and cold therapy for relieving joint pain and stiffness.
- Suggestions on how to improve your home and work environment for optimal function and pain relief